Clear and straightforward, Understanding Pharmacology: Essentials for Medication Safety helps you understand how drugs work and how to administer them safely. That means you won't have to resort to rote memorization of drug information to avoid making medication errors! Written by noted educators M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Linda A. LaCharity, PhD, RN, and Susan L. Kruchko, MS, RN, Understanding Pharmacology clarifies difficult concepts and prepares you to handle today's new drugs and drug classes. It provides complete preparation for licensure exams and for clinical practice.
- Clear, consistent chapter format facilitates learning:
- Key Terms with phonetic pronunciations and page references
- Review of Related Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Types of Drugs Prescribed, including how each works; dosages with intended responses, side effects, and adverse effects; what to do before administering; what to check after administering; and what to teach patients
- Get Ready for Practice! with Key Points, Additional Learning Resources, Review Questions, and Critical Thinking Activities
- Animations and video clips are included on the companion Evolve website.
- Everyday terminologys is used, with technical terms following in parentheses.
- A math and dosage calculation review minimizes 'math anxiety' and promotes medication safety.
- Try This! boxes let students practice math and dosage calculation concepts as they learn them.
- Common Side Effects boxes use clever, easy-to-recognize icons to emphasize the side effects of drugs.
- Drug Alert!, Memory Joggers, Do-Not-Confuse, and Clinical Pitfall boxes highlight important tips for safe medication administration.
- Did You Know? boxes relate pharmacology content to everyday life.
- Wide margins provide plenty of room for note-taking.
- Examination-style review questions end each chapter, and include alternate item format questions.